Friday, May 22, 2026

Top 5 This Week

spot_img

Related Posts

U.S. launches response to Ebola outbreak in DRC and Uganda

By HER staff reporter

The United States has launched a coordinated response to the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda, moving quickly to contain the spread and protect Americans at home and abroad.

Washington said it activated an interagency coordination system within 24 hours of confirming cases, while U.S. embassies in the DRC, Rwanda, South Sudan and Uganda established monitoring groups to track developments and communicate with American citizens in the region.

The State Department said it has updated travel advisories and, working with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, issued a Title 42 order restricting travel to the United States for foreign nationals who have visited the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan within the previous 21 days. It is also coordinating with the Department of Homeland Security on implementation of the order and with health authorities on possible quarantine and isolation guidance.

U.S. officials said they are working with the CDC and the military on potential repatriation of affected Americans, depending on exposure and medical needs. The CDC also confirmed that one American who had been exposed while working in the DRC tested positive for Ebola late Sunday and is being moved to Germany for treatment, along with other high-risk contacts for monitoring.

Within 48 hours of the outbreak response being activated, the State Department said it mobilized an initial $13 million in foreign assistance to support surveillance, laboratory capacity, risk communication, safe burials, border screening and clinical case management in the affected countries.

The department said additional bilateral funding is being prepared as the scope of the outbreak becomes clearer. It added that the response builds on existing health agreements with the DRC and Uganda under the America First Global Health Strategy.

Washington is also drawing on its support for UN humanitarian pooled funds to speed up assistance on the ground, with $250 million earmarked for the DRC and Uganda as part of a broader $1.8 billion humanitarian package announced on May 14. U.S. officials said they are coordinating with the European Union, the United Kingdom and other partners to ensure a unified response.

The State Department said the United States will continue to support affected communities, protect its citizens and work with international partners to contain the outbreak quickly.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Popular Articles